For Youth Development
We believe the values and skills learned early on are vital building blocks for life. Because of the Y, more young people in neighborhoods around the nation are taking a greater interest in learning and making smarter life choices. At the Y, children and teens learn values and positive behaviors, and can explore their unique talents and interests, helping them realize their potential. That makes for confident kids today and contributing and engaged adults tomorrow.
- Child Care: With so many demands on today’s families and the increased focus on early brain development, families need all the support they can get to nurture the potential of youth. That’s why child care and early learning programs at the Y focus on holistically nurturing child development by providing a safe and healthy place to learn foundational skills, develop healthy, trusting relationships and build self-reliance through the Y values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Education & Leadership: All kids have great potential. At the Y, a leading nonprofit strengthening community through youth development, we work every day to help them set and achieve their personal and educational goals. As a result, millions of children and teens nationwide gain confidence as they recognize the Y as a place where they belong and can feel comfortable exploring new interests and passions. Additionally, through our leadership and academic enrichment programs such as mentoring, Youth and Government and college preparation, the Y makes sure that every child has an opportunity to envision and pursue a positive future, and to take an active role in strengthening his or her community.
For Health Living
At the Y, a supportive community is a big part of wellness. At every age and every level of activity, you’ll find people just like you looking to live a little bit healthier. Members and program participants often cite the support and enthusiasm of fellow participants and staff as some of the key factors in their achievement of greater well-being. One member sums up her favorite class this way: “This is a great program, I’ve learned so much about how to eat healthier and I love the classes. I’m here 3 - 4 times a week now to work out and I love the new me!”
- Group Physical Activity Classes: Ys offer classes for all ages, all levels and all interests. From low-impact exercise and chair classes, stretching and strength training to indoor cycling, water exercise, and yoga, you’ll find a group class that’s fun, supportive and keeps you moving.
- Healthy Lifestyles: Living healthy is about spirit, mind and body at every age and stage. Ys offer classes and programs for those dealing with chronic disease, joint and injury rehabilitation, stress and pregnancy, in addition to health assessments and wellness coaching.
- Personal Wellness: Training: We all need the advice of an expert sometimes, as well as the personal attention that comes with a trainer or coach. Ys offer personal training and coaching to help you set and meet your specific goals in order to live healthier.
- Water Activities: What would the Y be without water? Water exercise, adult swim lessons (it’s NEVER too late) and adapted exercise for those with disabilities or in rehabilitation are some of the water-based activities you’ll find at the Y where we believe if you can do it on land, you can do some version of it in the water!
For Social Responsibility
The generosity of others is at the core of the Y’s existence as a nonprofit. It is only through the support of our hundreds of thousands of volunteers and public and private donors that we are able to support and give back to the communities we engage.
- Summer Food Program: When lunch programs are unavailable once school is out, we’re right there with our summer food program. The Y believes that children deserve every opportunity possible to learn, grow, and thrive, and the meals we serve every summer help more children get the nutrition they need for good health.
- Social Services: To bring about meaningful change, individuals need ongoing encouragement and tools. We're here day-in and day-out to provide the resources our communities need to address the most pressing social issues: child welfare, education, employment, housing and substance abuse. We work to make sure every child, family and community has what they need to achieve their best.
- Global Services: At the Y, building a strong global community begins at home. Ys in the U.S.A.. help young people develop cultural competencies, diverse populations connect to the community and individuals around the world gain access to life-changing resources and support. As an interconnected global network, the Y has the resources and solutions to build bridges and make our changing communities stronger—both at home and abroad.
- Volunteerism & Giving: The generosity of others is at the core of our existence. It is only through the support of our hundreds of thousands of volunteers and public and private donors that we are able to give back to the communities we serve.
- Advocacy: We are a powerful ally and advocate for our communities. Our experience and strong relationships in 10,000 neighborhoods across the nation mean that we are able to organize grassroots efforts and influence public policy around a range of social issues including child welfare, education and public health.
Making a difference in our community. This is our monthly dashboard report for our Grove Y Board of Advisers. This document gives a snap shot of the monthly activity at your Grand Lake Family YMCA. The information helps the staff and volunteers to monitor our movement towards our current strategic plan goals. We will be posting each month to our Facebook pages for your review as well. Should you have questions concerning this information please feel free to contact Butch Christy 918-786-5774 at the Grove Y.